Friday, October 07, 2005

Research :)

yup im doing some research, on myself! im doing a lot of reading and finding many things that are in fact relevant to me, lots about emotional eating, about feeling stink when you do eat, take this months Slimming mag for example, i have brought this mag for a couple of years on and off, and have read it, but havent really READ it if you know what i mean, nothing i read has sunk it and i have managed to read the mag in a few minutes, this time its taken me a week to read, and i will be reading it again.

it has a great article in it about depriving yourself of food, and how if you dont allow yourself any treats your diet will get boring and you will binge because you couldnt have any. basically its exactly what i do, i tell myself i cannot have it, no way no how, and get so worked up about it that i end up eating say a whole block of chocolate, when if i hadnt of deprived myself in the first place i would of only had 2 squares. then i get myself so down about it, ive ruined my whole diet, so i give up. instead of thinking like a normal person, shrugging it off and getting on with it.

There is also a great article about changing your beliefs, how to stop sabotaging your diet and get back on track, its tells you to sit down with a pen and paper and consider how you feel about your diet, start with the words "a limiting thought i have about this diet is..." and write down everything that comes into your head, be honest with yourself, it could be about not having enough time to exercise or not thinking any diet will work, write down everything that you think limits your diet, then from looking at those things on your list, you should be able to work out what your main prob is, and there are other steps too, working your way of thinking around to a better way of thinking for you and your diet, whatever it may be, its really neat and i will definatly be doing it for me

the other article in this mag (there were 3 that stood out to me) that really struck a cord is, how to love yourself after a pig out, how to stop the cycle of bingeing, feeling guilty, then binging again, gives you 3 steps, 1, dont beat yourself up about it, your more likely to eat more if you critisize yourself, 2, own what you have done, yeah you have binged, but get over it and move on!, 3, keep an eye on you, deniel is never the answer.

so yes three very interesting articles in this one magazine, all very relevant to me and the way i think, and i think very helpful for me to get out of that frame of mind

im not going to push myself all at once, i am still taking one step at a time, and i am happy doing that for now, i feel if i take it one step at a time and make those steps my normal way of doing things (drinking more, eating healthier, vitamins, cutting down on crap, watching portians) then it becomes my normality, my routine of doing things, just like reaching for chocolate used to be :)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Fantastic post Carla - I am going to take a leaf out of your book and actually read that magazine when I get home ! Sounds like some fantastic articles and all very relevant to where I am at at the moment. Thanks for pointing them out. Hey good luck with SureSlim - can't wait to hear how you get on. Have a fab weekend. Cheers Kel

Leighanne said...

I am going to have a peek in he slimming mag again - I kinda just skim through too:)

Kate said...

Hiya, great post! Hope you have had a lovely weekend! Let me know if you are free at all this week for a catch up / coffee / walk (if this weather ever clears?!). The only day I am busy so far is Tuesday. Talk soon. xx